Deciding that you want to learn how to watercolor is a big step and probably you have som many watercolor painting ideas that you are just eager to start.
Below you’ll find 10 awesome watercolor tutorials that I hope you can use as inspiration.
Simply pick your favourite idea, grab your best watercolor paints and begin!
Step 1: Gather the following supplies:
- Watercolor brushes: get a medium, small size, and a flat brush. They will be used to create different effects when painting.
- Watercolor paper: Paper will make a big difference in the outcome. We use Canson XL series in this tutorial.
- Drawing reference: you can find any tulip flower online in order to copy the tutorial.
- Watercolor Paints: White Nights is the brand that will be used in this tutorial.
- Pencil: Best to use H, or 2H, making sure you do not have any bright lines.
- Water jug: This can be anything, even an old cup.
- Tissue paper: Grab your kitchen roll.
- Eraser: Make sure that it is white and does not leave any marks. We are using STAEDTLER Mars.
10 Watercolor Painting Ideas
The best thing about these is that you can be really adventurous with the colors you choose and make your artwork as vibrant as you wish.
Galaxy painting is so incredibly beautiful, it can be intimidating to paint them at first. However, with this simple tutorial and correct watercolor techniques, you’ll be able to create magic effortlessly!
If you want a cool background for your next portrait, a galaxy is a great choice as they’re stunning and fun to create.
If you’re a beginner, having a reference (as seen in this tutorial) is really useful as it helps with shape, tone and shading.
Sunsets are a massive favourite for watercolor artists because of their serenity and beauty.
The best thing about painting sunsets is that they can be simplified for beginners. As shown below, you can create a stunning sunset with only 3 colors and a few brush strokes.
If you have enjoyed this tutorial, then do not forget to check out this watercolor course for complete beginners called: “Get Started with Watercolor.”
And at the end of the day, all that really matters is that you start painting!
Not that you have the most perfect supplies, mood and setting.
Just start! Do not overthink it! It is that simple.
Because when you are overthinking it, it takes a lot of time. When you just start, you will be glad you did.
Alright, now it is time for you to paint and make this world a very creative place.